Language is absolutely central to your learning: without it, you cannot make sense or communicate your understanding of a subject.
You will need to develop your language skills, and specifically, your academic English, in order to:
- understand and make the most effective use of your study materials
- develop the specialised language and vocabulary relevant to your subject
- interpret assignment questions and select relevant and appropriate material for your response
- write well-structured and coherently presented assignments, without plagiarism
- communicate your needs to your tutors
- work productively with other students.
Depending on the level of OU study you are engaged in, click on the tab to see the skills you are expected to develop as you learn. A good command of English is vital to many of these skills.